Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Nothing but time.

Thus far, my summer has been eventful. I left school on 13th, spent a week in Maryland, spent a week at home then spent a weekend at camp. My week in Maryland and my week at home were spent with my friend Lauren...

We're basically the same person, so it's always a good time. Well, she's back in Maryland now and I'm home. My sister is still in school and my parents work. So I get to spend all day alone. I'm not used to this though. Every other summer I've worked during the six week limbo before camp. With no complaints on my end, they didn't need me this summer. Don't get me wrong, the first few days are nice. Sleep in until 1pm, lounge on the couch watching TV, read, you know all that jazz. Then that day comes when you've baked everything in the house, you've cleaned your room more times than you thought possible, you've watched every decent thing on TV and you've run out of books. Or you just get bored. I expect that day will be arriving sooner than later. Which will leave me three weeks before Camp starts to do productive things. Luckily I've been given a job to prepare for Camp.

If you go back to my very first post, you can read all about my time spent in Catacamas, Honduras over spring break. I worked in a children's home called Por Los NiƱos where I found my passion. Showing Gods endless love to his precious Honduran children. Well, anyone that knows me, knows I want to convey to others how blessed we truly are. Living in the U.S. it's so easy to lose sight of how truly blessed we are. We are surrounded by the idea that it's all about us. Bettering ourselves in whatever way we have to. I'm not saying the idea of bettering ourselves is wrong. But desensitizing ourselves to others in order to get there, is wrong. I love America. I hate many aspects of our culture. So Lauren and I (she also went to Honduras, and also works at the same camp), have been asked by the directors to make a 1 to 2 day plan for helping convey to our campers what life in Honduras is like. I'm so excited to bring the Honduran culture to kids in America. It's an eye opening experience that I hope gives insight into their lives that way it did for Lauren and I.


No comments:

Post a Comment